Why should I raise rabbits? Are they any better than other domestic livestock?
Rabbit farming is very rewarding because of the following reasons:
- Rabbits are the most productive of domestic livestock. A rabbit only takes 6 months to mature. Their gestation period is only 30 days and on average, a female rabbit gives birth to 30 young ones per year.
- They are very cheap and easy to feed as they mainly feed local weeds and water. You can as well feed them on rabbit pellets if you can afford them.
- They occupy little space hence suitable for most rural farmers who are small scale.
- They are quiet animals that can be raised in any environment.
- They rarely get sick unless kept in unhygienic conditions.
- Their meat is white, high in protein and low in fat and cholesterol. Its health advantages make it high on demand especially in institutions such as restaurants and hospitals.